Sunday 11 March 2012

The Power of Art

I hadn't done any kind of Art since I was about 15 in school taking it as a subject that I could use to just take time and release stress.

A few months ago the passion suddenly struck me again, I had been so caught up at work and with the Stroud of cancer possibilities still surrounding me, I needed an outlet so thought I would give it a whirl.

It didn't take me long however to work out I am not particularly talented at painting...or at least making things realistic. Instead I dabbled with some other arty type ideas...silhouette type drawings, with bright back grounds and little Paua (a type of shell found in New Zealand) mosaic things.

I love to find new ways to just sit and let the creative juices flow.

For a while, life just seemed to get away from me, and I didn't realise quite how bad things were getting, stress building up because I wasn't acknowledging it was there. I was distracting myself in my work and family as is so easy to do.

I naturally have quite a calm demeanour so I find it easy to take a few breaths and let things just flow over me.... however I often find that really it just stock-piling itself somewhere. Far too often I come home from a hard day at work; or something small happens at home and I just feel my mood plummet, my head heavy. This is when I needed to find something that could assist lifting me out of that hole, something constructive. 

So far, these are what I have completed whilst quickly sitting on my lounge floor slowly letting the heaviness in my head go..





The last picture was particularly fun, where I painted on a silhouette I found online, and created crayon rain down on top of it via a hair dryer...

If i can suggest anything to relieve some stress that was definitely a bit of fun!

No comments: